It’s been 3 days since we returned from Toulouse and while my memories are still fresh, I wanted to share them with you. Toulouse surprised me a lot, in a good sense, of course, so it’s very easy for me to create this list of 10 reasons why Toulouse should be on your weekend break list.
We visited Toulouse in November and even though the weather could be better (or WAY better, as it was raining a lot), we still managed to see the city and snap some lovely photos in the city. And of course, I wanted to say big thanks to Visit Toulouse, who provided us with the Toulouse tourist passes, which are truly helpful and are a great solution if you’re visiting Toulouse for a weekend break. You can get your passes here >>>
This post's overview:
- 1 So here are 10 reasons why Toulouse should be on your weekend break list (weekend in Toulouse: things to do)
- 1.1 1. Toulouse is gorgeous
- 1.2 2. You can get some extremely cheap flights there
- 1.3 3. Toulouse isn’t cheap, but you can still enjoy it on a budget
- 1.4 4. If you aren’t on a tight budget, then you can take the most of French Cuisine
- 1.5 5. You will see some of the most impressive cathedrals and basilicas in your life
- 1.6 6. You can stay in an absolutely gorgeous hotel – almost like a palace
- 1.7 7. Toulouse is an engineering hub and a home to Airbus headquarters and Cite de l’space
- 1.8 8. You can discover the city by bike
- 1.9 9. You can discover the cities & villages nearby
- 1.10 10. Toulouse is a great destination for wine-connoisseurs
Why do you need a Toulouse tourist pass?
First of all, you don’t need to pay for a return tram/shuttle from the airport (16 euros saved), all the transport inside the city is covered too. And, most importantly, the major museums and landmarks in the city centre are included as well. In case they aren’t, there are discounts for them. Also, an excursion around the city and a tram right are included (and from April to October – the cruises as well).
So if you’re planning to do a lot of sightseeing, I definitely recommend you getting the Toulouse tourist pass. A tourist pass for 14 hours is 19 euros, while for 26 euros you can get a pass for 2 days (48 hours).
So here are 10 reasons why Toulouse should be on your weekend break list (weekend in Toulouse: things to do)
1. Toulouse is gorgeous
I think Toulouse is terribly underrated internationally, as in November, I didn’t see almost any international tourists in the city, only the local tourists. Of course, people in France know, how gorgeous Toulouse is, so they come to visit it, but Toulouse definitely needs more international acknowledgement. If you haven’t been to Toulouse before, I recommend taking this essential walking tour.
One of my other favourite cities in France is Bordeaux – read this post about Bordeaux here >>>
2. You can get some extremely cheap flights there
If you’re based in the UK or anywhere in Europe, where Ryanair is operating, you have probably seen, how affordable the tickets to Toulouse are. We got two return flights for less than £40 and we think it’s incredible. That’s one of the answers to the question of how we can afford to travel so much.
3. Toulouse isn’t cheap, but you can still enjoy it on a budget
Yes, Toulouse is definitely not cheap (expect to pay 15-25 euros for lunch – a set menu usually) and 25-35 euros for dinner in a nice brasserie. However, it doesn’t mean that you can’t visit Toulouse on a budget – you probably know how delicious French products are? Then why not head to Carrefour and get a fresh baguette with pate and amazing cheese? That could save you A LOT of money. And your breakfast doesn’t have to be elaborate as well. Coffee and pastry and the most beautiful view – what can be better?
4. If you aren’t on a tight budget, then you can take the most of French Cuisine
Foies Gras, Oysters, Duck confit… these mouth-watering dishes are available almost in every single restaurant in Toulouse. There are also so many amazing brasseries, bistros or restaurants around, ranging from mid-priced to very expensive and they are definitely worth visiting.
5. You will see some of the most impressive cathedrals and basilicas in your life
I can assure you that Toulouse has some of the most impressive cathedrals, churches and basilicas I’ve seen in my life. It doesn’t matter if you’re religious or not, they are just definitely WORTH visiting.
6. You can stay in an absolutely gorgeous hotel – almost like a palace
Hotels in Toulouse are really impressive. We stayed in Grand Hotel De L’Opera located on the main square and it was gorgeous! There are some other pretty unique hotels to stay in Toulouse city centre – La Cour des Consuls Hotel and Spa Toulouse or Le Grand Balcon Hotel.
7. Toulouse is an engineering hub and a home to Airbus headquarters and Cite de l’space
Any fans of Airbus here?
8. You can discover the city by bike
Cycling is a very popular mean of transport in Toulouse and you can hire a bike at multiple automatic stations around the city. However, if you want to learn something about the city as well, I would recommend you to take a bike or E-bike tour around the city.
9. You can discover the cities & villages nearby
Toulouse is located quite close to Carcassonne and Lourdes, so it’s a great way to see 2 cities
10. Toulouse is a great destination for wine-connoisseurs
If you like wine, in Toulouse it’s cheaper than tea or lemonade (well, in some places). You can try different sorts of amazing French wine as well as order a sharing ham and cheese platter and voila – it sounds like a perfect evening.
There are, of course, more reasons to visit beautiful Toulouse and spend a weekend in Toulouse or even more days (e.g. museums, heritage, art), but I named the ones, which impressed me the most.
Liked this post about 10 reasons why Toulouse should be on your weekend break list? Share it on Social Media