Read this post for a very fast, simple and delicious cottage cheese pancakes recipe – a perfect healthy breakfast idea. Cottage cheese pancakes is a typical Eastern European dish (I’d say, primarily Russian – in Russia, they are called Syrniki or Syrniks). I used to eat cottage cheese pancakes all the time, when I used to live in Russia and I was surprised that I haven’t found anything similar in the UK at all.
When I prepared these healthy cottage cheese pancakes for my husband for the first time, he absolutely loved them. So if you want to try something new during the quarantine or just want to learn a new healthy and unique breakfast dish – keep reading, I’ve got you covered.
Quarantine kitchen and the travel-inspired recipes
In the last couple of weeks of quarantine, I found myself cooking a lot. To be completely honest with you, I never cooked so much in my life. If you’re new to this blog – hi, my name is Liza. I love travelling and I’m a foodie, however, I spend most of my time working as a Digital Marketer and after work, I usually work on this blog, so… there is not much time left for cooking.
Well, since the UK got into the lockdown, we started eating at home all the time (surprisingly, we only ordered a delivery twice) and I started looking for some interesting, fast and healthy dishes to cook for breakfast and during a lunch break. That’s how I remembered one of my childhood’s favourites – cottage cheese pancakes that my mum and my grandmother used to cook a lot.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes Recipe – Quick and Healthy Breakfast Dish
There are many variations of this recipe. I’ll share with you the easiest, fastest and healthiest – the one I use myself all the time these days. Without further ado (you came here for a recipe, after all, not for my essay), let’s get started.
One of the essential products you will need for this recipe is cottage cheese. Depending on where you live, you would be able to get it in any Eastern European shop. In England, many local Tesco and Sainsbury’s stores sell cottage cheese in the Polish section. You might be able to use any other cottage cheese, however, you will have to add more flour, as the consistency of such cottage cheese is different!
- Cottage cheese (you can find it in Polish shops or any other Eastern European shops). 250g
- Flour - 5-6 table spoons
- 1 Egg
- Sugar - 2 table spoons
- Frying oil (if you don't have a non-stick pan)
- No special tools required
1. Mix the pack of cottage cheese (250g), 4 spoons of flour, 1 egg and sugar. Use a fork to create a mix. Is the mix is too wet and doesn't hold together, add more flour, so you are able to create a few small balls from it.
2. Create small cottage cheese balls (the size varies - I would recommend avoiding making them too big, as it will be hard to fry them later).
3. Flatten the balls to the shape of a thick pancake and cover the pancakes in the remaining flour
4. Preheat the pan, add frying oil and the pancakes. If you decide not to use frying oil and your pan is non-stick, you should be fine. That way, your pancakes will be even healthier. For this recipe, I didn't use any oil and the pancakes turned out just fine!
5. Fry the pancakes on each side until they get light brown and crispy. That would take about 10 minutes. I would recommend using medium heat, so they don't get burned from the outside and remain raw inside.
6. Leave them for about 3 minutes to cool down. Serve with butter and jam, condensed milk or fresh fruits!
The first time cooking these pancakes might take a little longer, however, once you've done it once, they should be ready in no time!
Summary of cooking healthy cottage cheese pancakes for breakfast
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and found it useful! Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below. If you liked this post, let me know, as I might continue these series of recipes and make them even more travel-inspired!